Thursday, March 26, 2015

Essay Packet

For this weeks blog posting I wanted to share my thoughts about Jerome Washington's essay, "The Blues Merchant". The essay at first caught my attention because it was music oriented. It went into detail about each of the band members and what they do before they are ready to perform. In a way it seemed like one of those talent shows we had in high school. When you get about 2/3 of the way through the essay the line "The tear gas canisters recessed in the ceiling remind us that everything is for real". This line caught me off guard. I wasn't sure at first what it was exactly but then I decided to take my own understanding of it. Whether correct or incorrect it made me think of an emotional performance. This then made my mind wander to my suite mates just yesterday. I'm pretty sure we all know who 1Direction is... unfortunately. Yeah, well they are OBSESSED with this boy band. Yesterday the found out that one of the band members, 22 year old Zayn Malik, had left the band after 5 years of being together. The tear gas canisters reminded me of all the crying that they did over this one small detail in the world.

1 comment: